Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Get Up, Stand Up

Our boy is growing by leaps and bounds.

It surprises me how much can change in 4 hours, let alone a few days or a week. For instance, when Jude started crawling, Jillian called me to let me know. I think she said something like, "Your son is going to crawl while you are gone this morning." By the time I came home late that afternoon, our world was turned upside down. Jude was moving, and moving fast. And this was only the worm-like, military crawl; I had no idea how fast he could be until he started crawling on all fours recently.

So then he starts sitting up on his own. And within a week he started pulling himself up to standing (thus, this video entry). Now it seems like all he wants to do is crawl to the nearest not-quite-safe object and use it to pull himself up. There haven't been any major walking-like steps yet, but he's starting to shuffle his feet a bit to move around while holding onto whatever he's standing up against.

This whole fatherhood thing is beyond words: wonderful, exhilarating, tiring, scary, frustrating, self-emptying, joy-filled... There are times when I can't wait to see who and what Jude becomes, what he'll look like, how tall he'll be, who he will look like, what his interests and passions will be; and then there's the part of me that wants him to stay little, crawling around, trying to climb over me, looking up at me with bright eyes, a smile, and beautiful sounds right when he wakes up in our bed each morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jude, Jill and Josh,

It is such a joy watching your family grow. The two of you are such wonderful, tender parents -- and your baby boy is so sweet, bright and peaceful.

Thank you for sharing your lives and your love,
Demery

Unknown said...

He is just too cute and funny. It was almost like he had it choreographed.