Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Twelve-Month Letter

Dear Baboo,

Today you turned one year old. I can't believe how fast the past twelve months have flown by. I could swear that just yesterday I was able to hold you in one arm; that it was only last week when you learned to roll over, sit up, and stand. Was it really much longer than a month ago that you started crawling? Where did all the time go? How did your growing up sneak up on me?

This past month has been a joyful month for you, Papa, and me. You've become so very vocal. You talk and sing to us nearly non-stop during the day. Just in the last three days or so Papa and I have started signing to you, and you've already gotten the hang of signing "milk" back to us. Tonight I witnessed you take about eight steps on your own.  I don't think it will be long until you're full-on walking.

A couple of weekends ago we went to Philly to see you Aunt Lauren, who was visiting from Maine. It was the first time she got to see you since you were born, and she was so excited to spend some time with you. Aunt Lauren gifted you a fantastic zippy that says "Maine" on it. It fits you great, and I'm sure you're going to spend the vast majority of next fall and winter in it. During our visit with Aunt Lauren, we all went to the Adventure Aquarium in New Jersey. We saw tons of fish, penguins, seals, and turtles. (And tons of other animals... too many to name!) You really seemed to enjoy watching the fish swim all around. More than once you put your hands out to the glass tanks and tired to touch the fish! I'm sorry you couldn't get to them, but it was sweet watching you try.

For your birthday, we celebrated with friends and family at South Ab's park. Papa went to the park early to stake our claim on the picnic benches under the pavilion. Papa (with some help from Aunt Michelle and DJ) decorated the tables and pavilion with streamers and balloons... it looked really beautiful. I baked you a banana cake because you love, love, love bananas! You spent the afternoon playing on the grass and being adorable. Everyone was excited to celebrate with you.

Early this morning, Papa and I took you to Pop Pop's Workshop to pick out your birthday present. You came home with a little wooden car and a little wooden truck. Papa and I had been looking forward to taking you there for some time. I hope those little wooden vehicles will entertain you for many hours to come!

You had a fever a few days ago, but Papa and i attributed it to teething. Dr. Jennifer checked your ears, and they were all clear, and you didn't seem sick otherwise, so neither Papa nor I worried too much about it. Today you have a bit of a rash, and that has me a little worried since we haven't changed our laundry detergent or anything of that sort. I'm hoping to get a better look at it tomorrow, and hoping even more that it will be gone away by the time I go to check it out. On the upside, you don't seem bothered by it, so I guess I'm probably worried over nothing.

Jude, I know I've said it before, but you bring your Papa and I such joy. I can't imagine my life without you. I'm so grateful for this past year, and I'm excited about the years to come.

Happy Birthday, Jude.

Love,
mama *=

Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: